"James" Character with AIML answerer

Questions about the Character Builder, primarily for content creators.

"James" Character with AIML answerer

Postby isijm on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:45 am

Hello,
I've recently downloaded the trial versions of both the character builder and the character server. I'm specially interested in the Poser-based characters and the chatbot-functions.
Testing the AIML answerer I found out that "James" and "Jesse" won't work while all other characters do. :shock: When starting the page only the first static image appears and after a short time disappears. There isn't any response to text input. Could this have to do with the fact I moved all output files to the main Inetpub\wwwroot directory changing the html file's name to "default"? (the "Dave"-character for instance works perfectly after this procedure). I would appreciate any hint to solve this problem.
Another question: Is there any possiblity to link to an external database in order to capture updated information for AIML-response? The project I'm going to develop requires access to a dynamically updated database.

Thanks for your response, JM
isijm

Postby staff on Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:13 am

James and Jessi are different in that they support "shared libraries". If, in your project node, you turn on both Use Shared Libraries and Create Shared Libraries, then you'll see the size of your main file go way down, and several shared library files appear. Chances are you did the Use, but not Create.

You need to make sure you deploy the shared libraries to the same place as your output file, or better yet, you can place them in some standard location on your web site and then set the Shared Library Path attribute to the absolute url of the folder containing these shared libs, eg. http://www.mysite.com/sharelibs. With shared libraries, your first download won't be any faster, but subsequent flash files can take advantage of the same library files, which will then likely be cached at the user's machine.
staff
Site Admin

"James" still doesn't work

Postby isijm on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:12 am

Hello again,
I checked all the points you had listed in your response. The program correctly outputs the following files: JamesShared1,3 and 4; XXX.html;XXX.msf;XXXrespond.asp;XXXrules.msf;XXXtemplate.xml - all in the same folder. Today I installed the latest build (144) and rendered from the original template without any changes. Now when accessing from the browser ("http://localhost/..") there is only the static initial image and no movement at all. I also tried rendering to a single file- same result. On the other hand, the "DAVE"-version of the AIML-answerer works perfectly.
What else should I check?
Thanks for your response, JM
isijm

Postby staff on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:43 am

It sounds like the generated file is unable to locate its shared libraries, and hence unable to draw the character. Another thing to check - the chat response is produced by the XXXRespond.asp, which reads XXXRespond.xml, where XXX is the name of your project. Please make sure that the latter file includes the same sharedlibpath, if you use one, and also specifies usesharedlibs="true" - it should not be set to generate shared libs.

Also, because your AIML is called from an ASP function, you have a chance to modify the AIML result before it goes into the character message. One easy way to connect to databases & web services is to insert a special tag in the AIML output such as

The stock price is $TICKER:INTL$ dollars.

The ASP file can then detect that the string contains a special token and do the replacement.
staff
Site Admin

Return to Character Builder